Sunday 26 September 2010

Walked the Essex Coast!

Well I did it!

455 miles, 52 days (26 in Archie), averaging 8.9 miles a day.
Six estuaries (Thames, Roach, Crouch, Blackwater, Colne and Stour), four islands (Canvey, Wallasea, Mersea and Two Tree) and one Sea (North).

I started on gloomy, mild January day at Purfleet and finished on gloomy, mild September day in Manningtree and I couldn't have done it without the help and support of Archie, C2C trains, the Essex bus timetable and my feet. I celebrated by having a superb tea at the Quay tea rooms in Mistley.

I passed through nine of the fourteen district of Essex, (Basildon, Castle Point, Chelmsford, Colchester, Maldon, Rochford, Southend-on-Sea, Tendring, Thurrock), points going to Basildon with coastline on the Thames and Crouch estuaries. Amazingly most of the 350 miles of coastline is easily accessible by footpath, the exceptions being Foulness, (owned by the MOD), a large area south of Colchester between the Blackwater and the Colne (also owned by the MOD) and the western edge of Hamford Water (chemical and explosive factory). Several parts of the Thames Estuary coastline used for landfill will be transformed into nature reserves in the near future. Particularly exciting is the news that the Essex Wildlife Trust has purchased Mucking flats.

With all that walking I had plenty of time to think. Here are some of my thoughts; there are 1.7 million people in Essex and there is a boat and static caravan for each of us; Essex is a very beautiful county; Jaywick is one of the ugliest places I ever visited; birdwatching is interesting if you take a friend with to you to identify the birds. knots put on a great flying display; National Express East Anglian timetables are not be trusted and you can go off sea wall after a while.

However this trip was not without it problems. I've lost a GPS, broke a camera, blew up the hob cover in the van and wore out a pair of boots.

The best bit about this walk was the solitude and the peacefulness of the coast, mostly the only sounds were the wind, bird calls and water lapping on the shore. Meeting the couple who were walking around Britain warns me that coast walking can become addictive and if I had a spare year and half I would definitely continue.

Was it worth? Absolutely!

Photo albums
Thames Estuary
Roach and South Crouch
North Crouch
The Dengie
Blackwater Estuary
Mersea Island
Colne Estuary
Sunshine Coach and The Stour

No comments: