Sunday 20 March 2011

The Far East

This month's camping trip took me to Lowestoft in Suffolk. Why, you ask? To complete the compass rose of Britain by visiting the most easterly point, Lowestoft Ness. From the campsite at Kessingland I could see the bright lights of Lowestoft and Gulliver, Britains's tallest wind tower. I was lucky enough to secure the last beach side pitch, (the campsite has only been open an hour and half!). As it was rather cold, I retired early but set the alarm so I could see the dawn rise from bedroom window. I woke up to find the van encased in ice so I had to watch the very chilly dawn from outside instead. It was a pretty sunrise and I would be one of the first people in Britain to see it.

It about six miles from the campsite to Lowestoft and I was able to walk all the way along the coast. It was an absolutely glorious day, fully twelve hours of unbroken sunshine, the winds were light but chilly. Ness Point is hidden away behind the port, off Gas Works Roads towards the north of the town. It's a rather forlorn spot, marked by Euroscope, a direction finder giving distances to the capitals of Europe. The Hague is 110 miles away and London 106 miles. It also marked the other cardinal points of Britain; south, Lizard Point, 352 miles; north, Dunnet Head, 472 miles; west, Ardnamurchan Point, 451 miles.

I was able to watch the moon rise from my sitting room, and what a fantastic site it was too. Huge and pink, it seemed to fill the sky and moonlight on the water was brilliant. Apparently it was a super moon.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW TO OPEN THE ALBUM

No comments: