Thursday 26 February 2009

Alternative Surrey 3 - Kingston-upon-Thames

Telegraph Hill (Kingston-upon-Thames) 295ft / 90m

I don’t know if any one else thinks it odd to find reservoirs on the top of hills but there seems to be a recurring theme here (Nottinghamshire, Harrow etc). Telegraph Hill is securely locked away by Thames Water with a very large fence guarding the covered reservoir and telecom masts, de rigeuer for any self-respecting top these days. Telegraph Hill also had a prison-like watch tower. Makes you wonder what they are hiding!

I knew from the hill bagging website that Telegraph Hill was pretty impregnable but it didn’t stop me from having a go. My plan was to assault in the rear by walking through Prince’s Covert, part of the Crown Estate. But first I had to apply for a permit to enter the estate, once the property of Prince Leopold, husband of Princess Charlotte, only daughter of the Prince Regent. Stumping up £5 (refundable) I received my key (no. 1732) and a handy map showing a 3½ mile guided route, I set off to Leatherhead and my campsite.

My pitch was under water after the recent snow but the hardstanding was firm underneath. After one of the coldest nights of the year, Archie was marooned on a little ice floe. I didn’t rush off, waiting for the promised sunshine. I let myself in with key wishing I brought some WD40 to make the lock close more easily. Then I then spent the afternoon with the place pretty much to myself as I saw less than ten people. It was very peaceful with just the odd jet plane disturbing the silence. It’s remarkable how you get away from the madding crowded in a densely populated place like Surrey. It wasn’t very picturesque as it was largely heath and plantation and would be easy to get lost in without following the signs or the map.

Needless to say I couldn’t get access to Telegraph Hill. I got within 500ft but between the reservoir fence and me was a trap shooting range and a barbed wire fence. All that just to protect some water!

No comments: