Tuesday 3 February 2009

Alternative Kent Tops - Medway

Holly Hill, 558ft

Medway is that little bit of Kent at the mouth of the river Medway, including the historic towns of Chatham and Rochester. The highest point is Holly Hill, on the North Downs. It's an unmarked spot in a field and isn't even at the top of the hill, which is across the border in Kent.


As Holly Hill is about 30 miles from home, I decided to go topping on a Sunday morning and be home in time for lunch. It should have been a short jaunt from the car park but guess what! another height barrier! So it was going to be a much longer jaunt through the woods from a layby. I set off well before dawn to get through the Dartford tunnel before 6am to avoid the tolls. However that meant I had to spend a hour in total darkness in a layby miles from anywhere. I spent most of the time thinking how to explain what I was doing if apprehended by the forces of law and order as I had in my possession, 3 maps, 2 GPS receivers, mobile phone, camera and binoculars, the complete stalking kit. It was actually quite pleasant setting off in the murky dawn, listening to the dawn chorus, plodding uphill through the woods. Armed with my new GPS I wandered around a large field attempting to find the highest point. Luckily this trespass was obscured from anyone by the misty weather.


I spent some time afterwards having a look around Rochester, which has a castle, cathedral and a strong association with Dickens.

No comments: