Monday 18 May 2009

Highlights from the big trip

The highpoint of the trip, both literally and figuratively, was getting to the top of Dartmoor, all 2037ft / 621m of it on what was an exceptionally good weather day. High Willhays is in the centre of this ridge, with Yes Tor, slightly lower but a bit more impressive on the left hand side.

The whole fortnight was all about high points as I got to the top of 15 out of the 16 hills I set out to bag. The only failure was Carnmenellis in Cornwall, a very unlovely hill with no public access at the top. Kit Hill, also in Cornwall, wins the prize for the best all round views, with Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor and Hensbarrow Beacon and Plymouth all clearly visible. I was extremely lucky with the weather as I didn't get wet once, whilest totting up over 95 miles and over 45 hours of walking. I averaged a cream tea every other day.


Flying over to the Scillies was also pretty exciting, but not a high spot as the plane cruised at only 1000ft. Flying in tiny aircraft is actually quite good fun, but take ear plugs as they are very noisy. It will probably be the one and only time I actually get to fly over a top.

I think the island shown is Bryher, but I'm not too sure.

Beside yomping over the countryside, eating cream teas, I got to visit quite a few National Trust gardens (usually in pursuit of lunch or tea), walked a little bit of the South West Coastal path on each coast (Channel and Atlantic) and did a few other touristy things. (Subjects for later blogs)

Anyone seen Bill or Ben?

No comments: