Tuesday 5 May 2009

Postcard from Cornwall

I'm now in Cornwall on my way to Sennen Cove near Lands End.

The weather has lost a bit of its lustre since Sunday but the rain has held off and the weather forecast is for improvement. Let's hope so, because on Thursday I'm flying to the Scillies Isles in a very small plane.

I've bagged a few more tops on the way. I was able to walk up to the trig point at Torbay because someone had left the access gate and there were no keep out signs. There was a good view of the coast and it was quite a nice hill so I thought I'd drive around to get a better view. I went down so of the smallest, unkempt and frankly dangerous roads in Britain, managed to stall on a steep hill in a moment of indecision and roll into a hedge. As the only way out was in reverse, poor Archie went through a hedge backwards.

I went onto to Tesco's at Roborough and walked up to the roundabout which marked the highest point of Plymouth. I actually walked on top of the roundabout, quite what the locals made of this behaviour I don't know. Topping can be very silly at times.

This morning's hill was Carnmenellis (near Redruth). It was always going to be tricky as there is no public access. It was a distinctly unlovely hill covered in gorse and bracken, and shrouded in mist. It was fairly boggy too. The only to the top was trespass through fields, over dry stones walls and through gorse bushes. It has also been quarried and mined and the thought of falling down something, in a place where I had no right to be was stupid, so surprisingly for me, I acted on this sound bit of advice and returned to the van.

Hoping for better luck this afternoon at Watch Croft on the Atlantic coast near St Ives.

No comments: