Saturday 2 May 2009

Postcard from Dorset

The weather has been very kind for the Wiltshire/Dorset part of the trip with lots of bright sunshine. I've managed to do three out of the four hills on the Plan. I had to abort the attempt on Hardown Hill as cows appeared to have the right of way on the path I intended to use. I'm going to bag it tomorrow morning before setting off to Cornwall via Torbay (locked up aerial compound) and Plymouth (roundabout near Tescos). Hardly challenging stuff which is just as well as I'm rather knackered after a 10.6 miles 6hour plus walk today.

Today's walk took me up to Lewesden Hill, County Top of Dorset and onto Pilsdon Pen which used to be the County Top until someone decided in 2002 that Lewesden was higher. This was my 25th Traditional County Top. Very nice it was too, a bit of slog up through woods carpeted with bluebell, grassy clearing at the top but no real views because of the trees. I saw more of the hill than I intend as I lost the path down and ended up doing a long, tiring circle in the wrong direction. Definitely not in the place I expected to be!

Pilsdon Pen is an old hillfort so is open with really good views including the sea and Golden Cap. It was also covered in sheep who were a lot friendlier than the attack sheep of Rutland.

Sorry there are no pictures - the dongle is a bit slow.

Off to Cornwall tomorrow on the coast not too far from Falmouth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are off to a good start. Looking forward to reading the next blog.
jc

Boo and Trev said...

So far so good weather wise. Hope it lasts